For years now, canola oil has gotten a very bad rap, and somewhat undeservedly so. The truth is canola oil can actually be good for you – in some cases even as good as olive oil, and it is much, much cheaper. This makes it a healthy and economical alternative to olive oil.
Here are just a few of the health benefits of canola oil, which comes from the rapeseed plant:
- It is low in saturated fat and contains no trans fats, so it is much better to cook with than standard vegetable oil or other types of oil high in saturated and trans fats.
- Canola oil is rich in monounsaturated fats and plant sterols, which decrease the risk of coronary heart disease.
- It has been shown to both increase levels of good (HDL) cholesterol and decrease levels of bad (LDL) cholesterol in the body, thus promoting a healthy lipid profile.
- It is a rich source of omega-6 fatty acids, which are essential for the growth and development of the brain, as well as omega-3 fatty acids, which protect the body against stroke and heart attack.
- Clinical trials and studies have shown that consumption of canola oil in place of other edible oils benefits the body greatly by increasing overall metabolism.
- Canola oil can reduce joint stiffness and tenderness, as well as inflammation due to chronic arthritis. It can also reduce the inflammation caused by asthma and intestinal disorders.
- Canola oil is rich in vitamins E and K, which help with skin problems such as wrinkles, fine lines, acne, blemishes, eczema, etc. It is often used as a base in creams and lotions because it makes the skin soft and radiant.
- To adequately moisturize dry, flaky skin, stir in some canola oil with a few drops of your favorite essential oil and use it as a body oil. Alternatively, you can put this mixture in a spray bottle and spray it on your skin after a hot shower.
- Research and scientific studies show that lupus, an autoimmune disease in which the skin and joints of the body are constantly being destroyed by the immune system, can be treated with a combination of fish and canola oil. This research is currently still in its infancy, but the results indicate a huge potential benefit.
- Hot oil treatments using canola oil can be inexpensive and highly effective remedies for hair that is dull and damaged. The oil moisturizes the hair shaft and repairs damage to the strands, and it provides a protective layer against dirt, pollution, and sun damage. A mixture of canola, olive, and almond oil can be used to prevent hair loss and stimulate hair growth.
To maintain the oil’s effectiveness and nutritional value, store in an airtight container in a cool, dark location to minimize exposure to light. If this isn’t possible, you can try wrapping the bottle with a dark, dry cloth. If stored properly, one bottle of canola oil can last for up to two years, which puts its economical value heads and tails above other oils like olive, sunflower, and peanut. Get some today, and try it out for yourself!